Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Trial and Error - Filing Cabinet-style

Going through and reading so many of the different crafting blogs out there, I'm struck by... jealousy?  Envy?  I don't know...

These ladies -- so many incredibly talented women! -- completely change the look and feel of their homes with a little bit of trim, a coat of paint, and more!  I'm limited by the changes I can do by the fact that we rent, though someday, I would love to own a home.  For now, though, I can only change what I have in my home.

My current project is a filing cabinet.  It's a black metal filing cabinet that I've hauled around for a few years, but never dressed up in any way, just having it around simply for its function.

I don't remember who wrote it, or if it was tweeted or posted on Facebook, but somebody yesterday said something about livening up a dull filing cabinet with some paint and/or wallpaper.  It inspired me!

So today, I took apart my filing cabinet -- it isn't fancy, just a $30 cabinet from Walmart -- and emptied it out.  Two coats of primer and one coat of satin white interior house paint later, and I have it here in my craft room, resting on flattened cardboard boxes, drying.  I've painted the handles a soft spring green, and I have a wallpaper boarder that I'm going to somehow incorporate onto it.

But now I'm concerned.  Through the priming/painting process, I've noticed that it's nicked/scratched easily, exposing the black metal underneath.  I can't help but wonder if I should have perhaps sanded first?

I put a layer of Mod Podge over it, hoping to make it stronger, but I really don't think that has made any difference, and I'm too afraid to try it to find out.

Am I right?  Should I have sanded first?  I don't know... I guess I'll just have to find out.  Trial and error?  Fortunately, it doesn't take too much paint and primer to do this.  Just all of one afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment