A few years ago, my mother gave me this picture for my wall. It didn't really match my house, but the flowers were pretty, so I hung it in our bedroom to fill the blank wall. We've moved a couple of times since then, and I just kind of carried the picture around with me, never really getting around to hanging it again.
Finally, I looked at it one day, and realized that while I loved the flowers themselves, the basic picture had to go. It was a little worse for the wear, having been somewhat beat up over time.
So in a fit of inspiration, I took it apart, painted the mats -- not as easy as it sounds, surprisingly -- and the frame, and painted a new image for inside the frame. (My first real time painting something like that. Fear not, the tulip picture is still safe and rolled up in my craft room closet.)
I focused a lot on the black, red and white theme of the decor that I'm planning for my bedroom, as you can see. I just used regular acrylic paint. I'm fairly pleased with how it turned out, particularly for a first-time. And altogether, it cost me nothing to do, as I already had everything on hand.
A quick recap: