Saturday, April 16, 2011

Bird Pillow

I've mentioned previously that I'm redecorating our room, using a red, black, and white theme.  I don't know what it is about those colors, and I know they're really popular these days, but I love how they all look together.  Between my tie pillow that I made and the cherry blossom painting, I've gotten started with the transformation, albeit slowly.

Last night, I experimented with another pillow.  I was inspired both by Janlynn-Sewmore's Wordy Bird pillow and by a pillow I'd seen at Walmart.



I knew I wanted to have a pillow with a bird, matching the color scheme I had chosen, and I loved the branches idea as well, but until I saw the Wordy Bird pillow and read the post, I wasn't really sure how to go about doing that.  I loved the simplicity of the whole project, and remembered that there are many ways to accomplish the same outcome.

I had originally bought some white and black patterned fabric for the main body of the pillow and some fun, flirty white fabric for the bird, branch, and leaves.  But once I adhered the white to the Heat n Bond (AMAZING stuff, by the way!) and cut the shapes out, I realized I didn't really like the design on top of the body of fabric.  I wanted subtle, but it was disappearing into it.  So I decided to go opposite of subtle.  I'd already made one mostly black pillow, but I decided to just go ahead with the second one.


I really wanted a bird on it, and I love the one on my header here on my blog that I took that and drew it out onto some cardstock to use as a template in cutting out the fabric.  I made up a pair of leaves, because I kinda figured the leaves in the header were a bit too complex for me for my very first time using Heat n bond, and wasn't sure how it would turn out, detail-wise.

After I ironed the design onto the pillow, I decided it was still lacking, so, inspired again by Janlynn's pillow, I cut a strip of the same fabric I'd used before to sew along the top and help add to it, and I cut out a flower from the fabric and Heat n Bond left over, and sewed a button into the center.

I'm really pleased with how it turned out!  And it goes nicely with the other pillows I have so far!!  The pillow with ties, as I showed before, and the other pillow is an envelope case I sewed to cover those really ugly pillows I'd bought before.


I really have GOT to come up with a better way to photograph my projects.  Because seriously, unmaking my bed to remove all the pattern from my comforters to show the pillows is kinda messy looking.


I linked!
Designer Garden Lovely Crafty Home Thirty Hand Made Days Along For the Ride The Girl Creative BWS tips button

9 comments:

  1. I love your pillow. I too have a thing for birds. You are so talented to be able to draw them. I am flattered to be an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! I love it and I LOVE that it is modeled after the bird on your header. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found you on Think Pink Sundays... Super cute pillow! I love all the sweet little bird stuff that seems to be everywhere these days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it!! I'm such a sucker for anything with bird silhouettes on it, and the red/white/black combo is one of my favorites. Those pillows all look so great together!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This set of pillow is so cute!! I love the birdy pillow! Great job!
    I am hosting my first linky party today and would love for you to link up! :) {nifty thrifty sunday}
    xoxo,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this alot! Birds are my newest addiction...they're so cute! Thanks for taking the time to stop by and comment on my desk makeover! I really appreciated it. I'm your newest follower; can't wait to see what you come up with next! I hope you'll come back and follow me too - http://copy-cat-crafter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Found you on Lovely Crafty Home. Just became a follower. Love the bird pillow. I recently cut a bird pattern using my Cricut hoping to make a bird pillow too. I too am new to the blogging world. If you have a chance please stop by my blog and say hi. http://lauriescreativecorner.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty! You did such a great job with it! I would love for you to come link up to my Sew Crafty Party !

    ReplyDelete